Sandy Pride


As I sit here by the fire with my laptop, I felt the need to express some of my feelings on the recent disasters on the east coast with "Sandy". The unfortunate reality that some Christians believe that it was God's wrath on an unjust nation going astray frustrates me. While I believe God is just to express His wrath on any of us, in any way He chooses, I simply cannot support this Wrath of Sandy idea biblically. Yes, God has shown His power and wrath at times throughout history, I will not deny that. However, if you accept the Bible for what it is, yet take a black marker to passages of your choosing, you are not accepting the Bible, or God, or Christ, or the Christian faith.

I understand the desire to want an explanation for tragedy, especially personal tragedy. However the moment we start to see ourselves noticing the splinter in our brother's eye, we must immediately run to our Creator and beg Him to remove the plank in our own eye.

I said I was going to share my feelings on Sandy? Here is the passage I cannot escape ...
There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:1-5 ESV)
The tower didn't fall on them because they were worse sinners. Sandy didn't cause havoc on the east coast because they were worse sinners. When we see disaster may we see it for what it is, disaster, and a reminder for what is to come; worldly death for us all. Life is short, and our mission huge. Let the Bible be our guide, not our pride.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go put another log on the fire.

Pray.
Vote.

~Matthew

Comments

Donna Schultz said…
Great words, my friend. With Scripts to back it up! ;)

Popular Posts