So I ran 100 miles ...




OK, well not in a day, but in the month of August! It was a goal that I set, and one of the few that I actually met! I left many things in the dust during that month, some of them great things to leave behind. Doubt about my running ability, lack of consistent dedication to my health, and even the lie that I don't have time for myself.

After all, we should be taking care of ourselves. This body is a gift, and as a thank you to the amazing Gift Giver I would like to take care of this vessel. However I left something else behind that I didn't expect; Him.
"for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." (1 Timothy 4:8 ESV)
So do I intend to back-down my workouts or start eating some more pizza? No, not at all. However it wasn't the exercise that was the problem, it was the sacrifices that I made to fit it in. I have a lot of hobbies, and I have a tendency to want to fit all those in, and in turn, my devotional time, prayer life, and study took a hit.

These sacrifices had nothing to do with obligation, checking a box, or feeling like I didn't give God something I required. Leaving Him in the dust didn't leave Him feeling empty, it left me feeling empty. You know that "Peace of Christ that transcends all understanding.", well that is hard to attain when you're running away from Him and pushing away the source of all that peace. It is that peace that is just part of the promise that Paul writes to Timothy in the above verse.

It reminded me of my life before Christ; I accomplished much, but was never truly satisfied.

On my next 100 miles, or whatever goal I set forth next, He will be leading me. Then I will walk away from a goal feeling like I accomplish much, and also walk away feeling truly satisfied!

Blessings,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts