Overlooking the "Small Stuff"


Sometimes we can overlook something that may seem so small, or insignificant, but it can turn out to be one of the most amazing miracles God uses in our life. To me, one of the most interesting miracles in the Bible happened during Pentecost. Even if you read this 100 times, read this again with me:
Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” (Acts 2:5-11 ESV)
What I love about this story, as you may imagine from the passage I selected, was that these simple "Galileans" weren't just speaking some angelic tongue that somehow the others were able to understand by the power of God. The others heard their own common languages being spoke ... at the same time ... by the same people! Huh? Again, don't let the Sunday school story you heard many times water down your impact of this passage, this is pretty awesome stuff! However it got me thinking about these Pentecost moments today, in my life.

I was talking to my children today about this story (again) and something had occurred to me that I shared with them that I'd like to share with you. You see, there have been some personal conversations that I've had in the past surrounding my faith with various people throughout the last several years. There are times I've walked away from a conversation feeling quite proud. Proud because I was able to answer the questions [I felt] well, and supported them biblically (or by using other outside secular, scientific, or other sources). Then there are times I've walked away from a conversation that was really important to me feeling like I sounded like a complete idiot. I choose terrible examples, fumbled with my knowledge of Scripture, and felt I left more questions and doubt than helped give answers and clarity!

Usually however, those conversations that seem to fail in my eyes, are the ones that are emotionally significant, and close to me. They are the ones that I've prayed over, thought about while getting ready for work, or late at night. Perhaps because I am so concerned that I may say the wrong thing is the reason I fumble my words. Yet gloriously it is those conversations (though not all) that I hear back from (sometimes days later or longer) with with words like: "Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear."

Huh? How did you get anything out of that mess?!
"for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” (Luke 12:12 ESV)
This Holy Spirit, is the same Spirit that made multiple people at Pentecost hear from the same men different languages at the same time. I wonder, I just wonder ... if when I speak in those moments ... those moments that I have prayed for ... if He doesn't take my Words and make them His before they reach the ears of my friends. Hmm.

Sound strange? Reminds me of part of this song:
You count it strange, so once did I ...
Before I knew my Savior (Aaron Schust, My Savior My God)
I love the way He works ...
~Matthew

Comments

Donna Schultz said…
In our weakness, He is strong. I love the idea that He takes our fumbling words and turns them into His own. This really touched me. Thanks again, friend.
Lisa notes... said…
I've never before made the connection of speaking in tongues at Pentecost and the Spirit translating my jumbled conversations into something of value. And I've read the story hundreds of times, too. :-) I'm glad I read it once more today! Thanks for the insight. I'll keep it with me.
Ms. Kathleen said…
Amen! This is so true for me ... I say or write something that I wonder if anyone will understand or even take the time and listen to or read and it is a blessing and such a confirmation when the Lord reveals somehow that HIS message got across ... Bless you today!

http://thejoyfulservant.com

Popular Posts