Scavengers Come After the Kill


Scavengers have a critical environmental impact, yet their job description isn't any less gruesome. As defined, a scavenger is an animal or other organism that feeds on dead organic matter. Not exactly the job to write home about. However a scavenger comes after the kill, not to make it. Many killers are the fast, smooth, and beautiful ones. The eagles, the hawks, the lions ...


I see an eagle swooping down in an attempt to make its kill when I read this verse ...
“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.” (Luke 22:31-32a ESV)
There are so many things that come to mind when I read this passage:

  • The word for demanded here is exaiteo in Greek, which also implies an asking, or permission.
  • Jesus is clearly our intercessor. Without His intercessory prayer and denial of permission, Satan would have had his way with Simon (Peter)
  • Jesus knew Peter would doubt and deny Him. Yet he didn't fail when he denied Him three times, because failure is not defined by a mistake, but by giving up.
  • How many times has Jesus prayed for me that my faith will not fail? I know He does. Reminds me of the unknown pitfalls that He rescued me from. (My earlier thoughts on this here)

While I could examine any of these points (and more), the overall concept of Satan demanding the destruction of Peter gives me goosebumps. It's a chilling reminder that when great things are about to happen, the more we're in the game, there is a lion waiting to devour us. I can picture Jesus saying to me right now, Matthew, Satan has demanded to have you, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.


And to what end? For love? Yes, but more than love. He saves so that:

"And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” (Luke 22:32b ESV)

May we live this life in joy, peace, and love to strengthen our brothers and sisters in Christ. There may indeed be a lion waiting to devour us, but let us never forget there is another Lion ...


Blessings,
~Matthew




Comments

Donna Schultz said…
When you are about to go to new levels, you will encounter new devils. But...He that is within us is greater than he that is in the world. Good word again, Matt.

Popular Posts