Got Anxiety?


This sign cracked me up on my last trip to the UK! Reminds me of some battles I had in my past however! Anxiety and I go way back, like longtime friends. Through it, God has given me some amazing lessons, and at the same time, some painful frustrations. We don't hang out as much as we used to, but he does try to visit occasionally; most of the time I just slam the door shut. I could probably begin reciting passages in His Word that talk about anxiety, and through all their familiarity, they still teach me. Today was no different as while reading through Luke 12 with the kids we made our way to verse 25:
"And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?" (Luke 12:25 ESV)
I love how quickly my son picked up his head, looked at me, and recognized the other side of that verse immediately. He said, "You don't add life dad, you waste it." I love the heart of a child. Note that he and I share some wonderful personality traits, yet my old friend seems to enjoy hanging out with him sometimes too. His recognition of his own struggles so early will hopefully keep him from suppressing it like a trap that will spring later in life; my hope is that it will disarm it.

Regardless, the answer for my battle was not a perspective, counseling, or a mindset (while they certainly can help); it was and continues to be Jesus. I've had attitude adjustments before, I've gone through counseling, talked to friends, I've been on medication; no resolution. I can't exactly explain to a non-believer outside of experience how different it is when Jesus' hand pulls you out of a pit; I wish I could put it into words.

I don't know why I have had to go through these fires.
I don't know why others continue to go through them.
I don't know why He decided to rescue me from this.

Yet, I do know He did; and He is getting all the glory here.

I just think today was an interesting day. It was an affirmation for me on where He has brought me thus far, causing me to be thankful all over again, and at the same time it was encouraging for my son. It also was a reminder to me in the ways I need to support and pray for my children (together and individually) as well. I have other struggles, but I know what it feels like to be rescued from one too.

Got Jesus?
~Matthew

Comments

Donna Schultz said…
"Regardless, the answer for my battle was not a perspective, counseling, or a mindset (while they certainly can help); it was and continues to be Jesus. I've had attitude adjustments before, I've gone through counseling, talked to friends, I've been on medication; no resolution. I can't exactly explain to a non-believer outside of experience how different it is when Jesus' hand pulls you out of a pit; I wish I could put it into words."

Oh, Matt...I am so with you on those words. This has been my frustration for so many years working with women in ministry. So many are looking to all those other methods to be set free... only Jesus. I don't know how He did it, but He did it for me! Good words, my co-former-pit-dweller!

Popular Posts