All My Eggs (not) in the Basket



It's fascinating to me that as I get farther in my life and career, the idea of retirement passes through my mind from time to time. However, the more it passes in, the quicker it passes out.
"And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ (Luke 12:19 ESV)
... a rich fools errand.

I feel less and less called to retire eventually. Just the concept of living for me, celebrating all my hard work, and taking it easy feels ... well ... uneasy to me. I understand that being lazy and not planning smartly is not exactly what He asks of us. However I don't need storehouse after storehouse so that my bank account is my savior the last 10, 20, 30, 40 years of my life. Again, this "living for me" thing is becoming more foreign to me as the days pass.

I think there is more to a smart financial plan than banking as much cash as I can possibly bank, finding every IRA, 401k, and other investments I can make so that I can live comfortably in my golden years. I don't want comfort, I want an adventure with God.

I don't need a discussion on investing, I'm not exactly ignorant there. I don't need graphs, charts, numbers, and recommendations. I don't need rolling eyes or pounding fists from financial advisers. I just need Jesus. Sorry if that sounds stupid to you ... it sounds awesome to me! :)

A real live Jesus Freak,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts