When I Say Jump ...

I'm guessing most of us have heard the boot-camp-like phrase: When I say jump, you say how high! This reminded me of something that I read today; but first I was curious as to the origin of the phrase. My search ended quickly when I came across an answer (on the meaning of the phrase, not the origin) that caught my eye. This is simply a person who happened to answer the question for someone on a message board, but this is what they wrote:
It's just an old, old, expression, meaning someone has another person wrapped around their finger: You say "jump" and they are so eager to please you, they say, "how high?" It's just an old saying.
Interesting; I would say that is pretty accurate.

It reminded me of Levi (Matthew's) eagerness when he was called. I just kept reading these two verses over and over and just had to smile. It's a 2-verse call; how beautiful and simple. I hardly think the good doctor and fellow brother Luke (the author of this Gospel) was trying to keep it simple. So many other times we see records of conversation, resistance, banter, frustration, etc. But here? No. It's a 2-verse call.
After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything, he rose and followed him. (Luke 5:27-28 ESV)
There was something about His presence that was so obvious, so compelling, so magnetic, that just drew people in; immediately. I love how earlier in this chapter we hear the call of Peter. Here is this guy fishing, probably hearing Jesus teach on the beach, and when finding out that they caught nothing, Jesus offers them an end of the day tip. Willing (sort of), but expecting nothing, they listen to His tip that ends up paying off big. The people were "astonished" says the Text, as would I be. However Peter's response to this highlights that compelling nature that I spoke of earlier. Many seemed to respond in words unwritten "Wow, how did he do that?"; Peter responds quite differently.

But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord" ... and Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” (Luke 5:8,10b ESV)
He calls Him Lord; moments earlier he saw Him as a master, a teacher. Now he is falling at His knees calling Him Lord.


Levi, sitting at his desk, sees Jesus walking by calling him, and he leaves his post, and everything behind, to follow; immediately.

2000 years later and He is still drawing people to Him. I pray that you don't keep your head down, and that you and Jesus meet eye to eye. If you do, and just lower the gates of your heart for a minute to take one honest look at Him, you will be penetrated with a love beyond description. This journey isn't easy, it's far from easy actually. Yet you will discover a lasting joy and peace that this world and all its stuff simply can't offer. I enjoy my TV, camera, music, food and games, but I crave Him!

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." - GK Chesterton

Praying we all make each of His commands a 2-verse call.

~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts