More than words ...


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1 ESV)
We as believers often speak about the Word being alive and speaking to us as we open our Bibles. However I have far too often read it as a book, not the very live Word of God. God and the Word are one; He didn't speak, He is speaking. Tozer writes:
"I believe that much of our religious unbelief is due to a wrong conception of and a wrong feeling for the Scriptures of Truth. A silent God suddenly began to speak in a book and when the book was finished lapsed back into silence again forever. Now we read the book as the record of what God said when He was for a brief time in a speaking mood. With notions like that in our heads how can we believe? The facts are that God is not silent, has never been silent. It is the nature of God to speak. " - A.W. Tozer
When I open up my Bible may I remember that I'm not just trying to apply a stagnant piece of Scripture written log ago to shape me. Rather God is speaking to me in that very moment; guiding me, loving me, instructing me, and showing me His Will for my life. When I underline that passage that jumps off the page to me, may I realize that He just spoke to me in a very real and present way.

Father, help me to realize that Your Word is alive and active in my life. Let my mind and heart be open to your teaching and shaping. May I lay down my will at your feet and openly walk as you command. May I use Your Word as a guide and learn to be in communion with You through prayer. Thank You for Your Word; thank You for being the Word. Amen.

~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts