Playing in the Sand


“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock." (Matthew 7:24 ESV)

Often as believers we talk about standing on The Rock that is in Christ, and we often reference the passage above which compares and contrasts a believer versus a non-believer who built his house on the sand. However, to state that I stand on The Rock isn't quite the point, and I would argue misses the point entirely. We could certainly get into a discussion over semantics and perhaps agree on the overall point, but I need to get the picture out of my head of me standing on The Rock. The picture that needs to be in my head is me living on the rock.

The man in the parable didn't vacation to The Rock. The man in the parable didn't take a stroll out to spend some time on The Rock. The man in the parable didn't decide one day to camp out on The Rock for a few days. The man in the parable built his house on It, he lived on It, he built his life around It.

May I not forget the basics of my faith by painting pictures that seem powerful, but aren't life changing. To stand doesn't require much effort, but to construct a permanent dwelling place does. I don't want to be standing on a rock while still playing in the sand.

Laying my foundation on His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts