Perspective

Many of us have heard studies, talks, or have reflected ourselves on very familiar passage, usually the one in Matthew, referred to as the Lord's Prayer. There are may ways of looking at it, many perspectives, and many (or maybe all) are great to consider.



Perhaps you (as I) have studied how significant each line is in that prayer and that when taken seriously (as all Scripture should be) it's certainly not a passing phrase, but rather a life changing way to live.

Perhaps you (as I) have heard about various creative studies and prayer structures modeled from it, such as ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication) as a way to pray.

Perhaps you (as I) have even talked about certain lines such as our "daily bread", and realized what that truly means.

Perhaps you (as I, just recently as today at church) heard perspectives on that passage to make sure our prayers are bold, and Kingdom focused. Prayers that can change the world, and how we can be a tool used by God to make those things happen!

However, these past few days I have reflected on something a little different that I never really saw; at least not this plainly. First, the Scripture:

“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."  (Matthew 6:9-13 ESV)
Here is how I translated it a few days ago in Prayer:

Father, it's about You!
It's about Your Kingdom, not mine.
Forgive me so that I can model You to others.
You are so Holy, even your Name is Holy!
Whatever you want, I will do!
I will help you bring your Kingdom onto this earth!
And while I'm doing your Will, I know You'll protect me.
When credit comes, I'll give You the glory!
You have huge plans, I just want to be a part of them!
As for me, what do I want?
Just give me enough to sustain me one more day.
That way, I can do this all over again tomorrow!
I love You too. :)

Some may see that (my perspective) as a self-centered unloving God. I see that as a Holy God, who is so loving that through His Son forgave a sinful me, and is actually planning to have me be a co-heir to the universe with His Son. What that looks like or even means, God only knows, but it sure sounds pretty good! I'm all in!

Talking about prayer this way reminded me of a quote that I would like to share from a book I'm reading:

"Isn't it ironic that we often pray for God to make us Christlike, but the moment God allows something into our lives that would answer this prayer, we immediately send out a fervent prayer request to all our friends to have that circumstance removed?" - Henry Blackaby, God in the Marketplace

I know we're encouraged to pray for healing, deliverance, the brethren, the unsaved, etc. I know He wants to hear everything from us, and if we have something on our heart, we should share it with Him. However I think that this passage isn't just supposed to show us how to pray, but it's to show us where our priorities should be. It's scary to pray like that though, I know. I can be so focused on my future at times I completely lose sight of Him and His Will for my life.

He's awesome, that's all I can say. He has filled so many voids in my life and continues to amaze me more each day. The least I can do is focus all my attention on Him, and just ask that He'll give me one more day to do it all over again! :)

Loving my Holy God,
~Matthew

Comments

Great perspective Matt! Reality was created by God, so it is reasonable that we should be God-centered. He is the One Whom we should seek to glorify in our lives and actions!

Popular Posts