I'm taller than you!




It seems lately that He is really working on my humility. So often in culture it's all about being the greatest; knowing the most; having the greatest faith ... this is not a new issue.

"But they kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest." (Mark 9:34 ESV)

What is even more sad is that I think this issue becomes most heated with our own brothers and sisters. We can spend so much time arguing about translations, laws, interpretations, or views that aren't focused around leading others to Christ. Study them, great, we should, but the Great Commission wasn't asking us to limit our Christian life to church and Bible studies.

Question. Do you imagine yourself having a faith of equal standing with Peter? Not the amount of missions he went on, or the number of people that he brought to Christ, or the conviction of his speeches, but his faith. He is just a man, but like Paul, another wonderful example to us of someone who learned to let Christ shine through. I think in some ways, through Peter's struggles, we can relate, but we miss the point that his faith is our faith. He was/is no closer to God than you and I (as some of my RC friends gasp). He had a purpose, a job, a commission; but so do we. Theological differences aside, just think about this verse:

"Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:1 ESV)

If you accept what Peter lays out here with Jesus Christ, you and I stand hand in hand following the one true King. Some of us may mentor, some of us may teach, some of us may need someone to pour into us, but our faith is the same. That is why I am no more saved today than I was years ago when I accepted Christ, regardless of how much deeper in love I feel.

You know what this picture reminds me of now? Not just my adorable son trying to be taller and perform a balancing act! It's a reminder to me that no matter where we are on our walk, Christ fills in the gap (places that log) to make sure that we're all on the same level.

Walking with other believers eye to eye ...

Continue to remind me of that Lord ...

Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts