Baby Steps

A friend of mine was telling me about an experience he had at a UofM football game. He was sitting a row behind the family section and was able to see another part of the game that is often missed and forgotten; the fact that these young players are just kids, sons, and siblings.

He watched as a senior took the field and the excitement of the family peaked; you see, he's been with the team all 4 years, but this was the first time he got to get on the field for a play. He, along with many others, may dress for games, be a part of the team, but rarely get a chance to step on the field and make a play.



This got me thinking about my relationship with Christ. As I spent some time in 1 Peter it's quickly obvious that Jesus isn't asking for baby steps:
but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:15-16 ESV)
If we've accepted Christ the way that we are taught in the Word, we are definitely part of His team; salvation is ours. However the joy that is experienced, both by us and those that love us and watch us, is maximized when we step on that field. Why do we (I) hold back so much? What are we afraid of?
for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7 ESV)
The best part is, unlike the player I talked about above, our participation in the game is not limited to our talent, but simply our willingness to step on the field.

Father, give me the courage to give all of myself to you; not just when convenient. May I stop taking baby steps, and run all out towards you. Help me leave my junk behind that is slowing me down, and continue to remind me that my past doesn't matter, my failures are forgiven, and I'm Yours now. Yet I pray that I don't ever run alone; that along the way I grab the hands of those that are reaching out, yet too weak to stand. May I also grab the hands of those that may not even want to run with me and call me a fool ... they'll see ... they will. Amen.

Going long ... and I pray not alone.
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts