At Peace in Chains - A Reflection

A reflection from my journal entry on July 14, 2008

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. (Hebrews 11:16 ESV)
Then: During that time in 2008 things in the economy were really hitting home at Ford. This passage got me thinking about how while I should be thankful for my blessings here, my ultimate home is with Jesus.

When I think now about this "desire" that is spoke of, it reminds me  of another passage I read yesterday
And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands. (Acts 12:7 ESV)
What struck me about that was when it was brought to my attention that Peter is in jail (again) because Herod (Herod Agrippa I) had just killed John's brother James and because this "pleased the Jews" Peter was also arrested. He was very likely about to be executed as well. So here he is in jail ...

SLEEPING! Yes, the angel had to wake him up!

Could you sleep? I couldn't! Here he is sitting in chains, waiting to be executed, so he decides to take a nap.

I wonder if it is because his desire, while it is understood he wanted to spread the Gospel, was not of this earth. He knew that God was in control, and that a place was being prepared for him. He truly was at peace in chains.

May we desire a better country; His. And when those chains get fastened around our wrists and ankles, may we find His peace, relax, and wait for when we are called, and watch the chains hit the ground.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts