The Root of the Issue

So I was gardening the other day, and after I was done I decided to weed a bit in my yard. So where do I start? The easiest place possible of course! I started pulling some weeds in the cobblestone that surrounds my back deck. Oh how I wish all weeds were so easy to pluck!
"Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away." Matthew 13:5-6 (ESV)

Makes me wonder sometimes how deep my roots are anchored; or rather when the seeds are falling, where am I planting them within me? Have I let Him till the hardened fallow ground of my heart so when the seeds fall, they can take root?

The picture that I took isn't even a weed; it's a fallen maple seed that quickly took root but was the easiest of them to pluck. However it also reminds me of that Dawn Redwood I have growing in my front lawn. Bought as a tiny sapling, cared for, watered, and almost miraculously avoiding the path of the lawn mower week after week. Now? Oh it's still young ... but already strong! Its roots run deep; real deep. No fear of the lawnmower, no fear of the feet of playing children, no fear of being plucked. It's not finished growing, but it has the foundation it needs for a beautiful life.

Comments

Popular Posts