Dash Seventeen

As I approached an old spot to pray the other day; a quiet, secluded, seldom travelled spot; I remembered how I etched in the dusty window “John 3:16” many months ago. It’s always great to reflect on such a foundational verse from time to time. Often I can get trapped in the study, history, and theology, of His Word and start to lose the purity of such a verse that highlights His love for us in such a basic way. However it was then that I sat down did I notice something about that etched writing … it was added to; not by me. Simply “-17” was added to the end of my writing which now read “John 3:16-17”.

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." John 3:17 (ESV)

When I read this verse it is a wonderful reminder that while He certainly came to draw a line in the sand (Luke 12:51), His purpose was not to condemn, but rather He came bringing gifts freely offered to any who accept.

He didn’t lock the gates restricting anyone from coming to Him; He opened them.


Comments

Popular Posts