Gimme Gimme Gimme!

Why do we in this world always seem to want more? OK, I know I don't speak for everyone, but if we're honest we all have at least a little selfish desire in our life for things that appeal to us, I know I do. We have these blessings, yet we still want more.

"is it too small a thing for you that the God of Israel has separated you from the congregation of Israel, to bring you near to himself, to do service in the tabernacle of the Lord and to stand before the congregation to minister to them" Numbers 16:9 (ESV)

Some of us compare our presumed misfortunes, or (seemingly) lack of blessings to others who seem like they have more; the grass is always greener.

"And the people spoke against God and against Moses, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and we loathe this worthless food.” Numbers 21:5 (ESV)

Loathe is a pretty serious word. They stated that "we loathe this worthless food". It was this "worthless food" that had sustained them to this point; something they say now they loathe. How heartbreaking. How quickly they forget.

... or should I say how quickly "we" forget.

We have these spirituals highs, often followed by some painful lows.





You know what I found though? The more I grab those high times, and just look down at the enemy and say "not this time!", those lows are grabbing me less and less. Marceen and I are on an amazing journey and she told me one time that she knows there is coming a time when the enemy will not be able to get a hold of us. Oh, sure, there will be punches! However those dark low times are because I felt Him lifting me up, and I was so clouded by the tranquility I let go of His hand. We don't just need Him to lift us up, we need Him to sustain our highs! How do you think we got there in the first place!!! =)

Even though I know Who wins, I don't doubt the power of the enemy, I'm not naive to think that I will be immune to attacks, I'm just saying that "in" my trials I need to realize that His joy is abound. We don't get joy when the world functions like the way we want, we get joy from Him and Him alone. Two different people can lose their jobs, loved ones, or go through other painful trials and react completely differently.

Seriously, I don't want trials, who does?. However He's showing me that He will not abandon me in them. I need to continue to learn not to want anything more ... except more of Him.

Lord, increase my faith!

Wanting more ... of You
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts