¡A mi me gusta mi nombre!



Over the past few days I've been thinking a lot about a certain biblical group of individuals, the Levites. I think it is also interesting to note that my biblical namesake, Matthew, was also called Levi. While this certainly is not some amazing coincidence, I still think it interesting to ponder as that name has deeply penetrated my heart as of late.

Here is this group of individuals who have been set aside for God, even among his chosen nation, they themselves have been chosen for a unique roll. The tribe of Levi has special privileges to go along with their great responsibilities. From their rolls in maintaining the Holy places to being the first to give at times (as seen below in just 2 recent examples that I read)

“Only the tribe of Levi you shall not list, and you shall not take a census of them among the people of Israel. But appoint the Levites over the tabernacle of the testimony, and over all its furnishings, and over all that belongs to it. They are to carry the tabernacle and all its furnishings, and they shall take care of it and shall camp around the tabernacle." Numbers 1:49-50 (ESV)

"And you shall take the Levites for me—I am the Lord—instead of all the firstborn among the people of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the cattle of the people of Israel.” Numbers 3:41 (ESV)

My point is that they were called to be set apart. Not that God loved them more, but for whatever reason they were called to be different.

And as for me ... Matthew ... Levi ... it's a reminder that I need to be set apart for God. We who profess Christ as our Lord are that holy nation. Now, God dwells in us, and we are to carry that responsibility in our own lives. We need to set ourselves apart from the rest of the world. Not in isolation, but in love, peace, and joy, so that we can be His light.

May the ways of the Levites continue to dwell in us all. May we lead by servitude.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts