It’s all in your aim …

Sometimes I get lost in Christ being my savior to the point where I miss the fact that He’s Lord. I had a discussion a while back with someone close to me about how he clearly sees a creator, but he doesn’t feel that worship is what his idea of a creator would want. He most certainly wouldn’t like the idea of a Lord.

As a child, we may want to rebel at times, or perhaps even show disrespect, but in the end it’s the comfort of the parent that makes you feel safe, secure, and loved. I draw this analogy with the knowledge that family to some of those who read this was far from safe, secure, and loving. Aside from that, I trust you understand the point that I’m drawing here regardless of your views. Personally, I couldn’t imagine a hands off God. One who abstractly reveals himself in a little game called life where we run around trying to determine what Truth is. Thankfully, that’s not our God. However our God is also our Lord. I’m reminded of this when I read the following passage:

You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? declares the LORD of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house. – Haggai 1:9 (ESV)

Some people find a God that punishes offensive, and while I understand that our first reaction may be to get defensive at times we have to realize a few things. For one, God is always sovereign, something not easy to swallow for a non-believer. One other point may be that we need to be corrected, how else do children learn? But most importantly it’s all done through Love. Look at the years and years and years of disobedience that went on between incidences of punishment.


So when I read the passages above it’s a sobering reminder for me to check my aim. Am I living for my kingdom, or His? Am I worried about getting my house in order, or His? And as I heard in a sermon one time, when it comes to my children, am I worried more about getting them in Harvard … or Heaven?

Checking my aim,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts